Chicagoland's Only Aviation Museum

Bell UH-1H Iroquois a.k.a. Huey

The Bell HU-1 (Helicopter Utility One) first flew in June of 1955 as the XH-40. The production models were designated HU-1A. The "HU" designator is the source of the nickname "Huey". The Nickname Huey is so universally used that the assigned name of the helicopter, "Iroquois", is hardly known and Bell incorporated the name "HUEY" in the die casting for the rudder pedals. The HU-1A went into service in June 1959.


Bell Model UH-1H Iroquois (Huey)

The HU-1A was equipped with an 800 shaft horse power (shp) Lycoming T-53-L-1A turbo shaft engine. It carried seven persons including , pilot, co-pilot, crew chief, and four passengers. With a gross weight of 7,200 lb. the maximum speed was 62 knots and a range of 163 nautical miles.

Several versions later, the UH-1H version of the Huey uses a 1,400 shp Textron Lycoming T53-L-13 turbo shaft engine. The "H" version has a maximum cruise speed of 120 knots with a range of 276 nautical miles. A total of 4,850 UH-1H Hueys were built between 1967 and 1982. Description:


Air Classics Museum of Aviation
43W624 US Route 30
Sugar Grove, IL 60554
Phone: (630) 466-0888


Web site supported by: Roth's Consulting 
E-Mail: webmaster@airclassicsmuseum.org

Web Site - Copyright 2003, Air Classics Museum

URL: http://www.airclassicsmuseum.org