Chicagoland's Only Aviation Museum

Dehavilland DHC-2 Beaver (U-6A)

De Havilland conceived of a light bush transport aircraft during World War II. They, however, did not act on their concept until 1946 after they finished the design of the DHC-1 Chipmunk trainer. They conceived of a completely utilitarian bush transport. The final aircraft had a number of interesting features such as a drop hatch in the cabin floor, a side door large enough to allow 55 gallon fuel drums to be rolled in the cabin, a fuselage mounted fuel tank to eliminate the need for over wing fueling, and the ability to add oil to the engine while the aircraft was flying. The DHC-2 Beaver utilizes all metal construction, with landing gear that can use wheels, skis or floats, and hinged wing trailing edges carrying both slotted flaps and drooping slotted ailerons for Short Takeoff and Landing (STOL) capability.


de Havilland DHC-2 Beaver (U-6A)

The first flight was in August 1947 and civil certification was complete by March of 1948. In December 1950 and May 1951 the Beaver won US Army and US Air Force competitions for a new liaison and utility transport aircraft. The US forces eventually purchased a total of 968 examples of the L-20A (changed to U-6A in 1962). Most of these aircraft, including the museum's aircraft, went to the US Army, but more than 200 U-6As were flown by the USAF. Some U-6As were later adapted as dual control trainers for use by the US Navy with the designation TU-6A. De Havilland went on to produce two more versions of the Beaver: the Mk-II powered by an Alvis Leonides radial engine only one example of which was made, and the Mk-III powered by the Pratt and Whitney Canada PT6A-6 or -20 turboprop engine.

Description:


Air Classics Museum of Aviation
43W624 US Route 30
Sugar Grove, IL 60554
Phone: (630) 466-0888


Web site supported by: Roth's Consulting 
E-Mail: webmaster@airclassicsmuseum.org

Web Site - Copyright 2003, Air Classics Museum

URL: http://www.airclassicsmuseum.org